An international Fintech technology product firm is recruiting a Software Enginering Head in Hanoi city. The role presides over the entire Frontend and Backend development teams, reporting directly to the Head of Engineering HQ, driving the vision, design, strategy, and implementation of integrated web systems in order to support the business. The role leads the development teams and collaborates with other business departments in sales, marketing, and finance in order to roll out new web systems and implement the ongoing process improvements of the current systems.
The Head of Engineering keeps up with new technologies and identifies correct schema for the sites/software in development. This leader has a strong vision for the department and promotes the best organizational patterns and practices. He tackles high-level challenges and balances quality software with speed, be responsible for feature deployment, stability of the business core platform stability, and the overall quality of the business’s web architecture.
Objectives and Responsibilities
- Seeks excellence in all engineering disciplines inclusive of data processing, quality assurance, application development, analytics, machine learning, algorithms, and data warehousing.
- Manages the day-to-day activities of the engineering teams as well as the management and execution of site/software development projects against delivery commitments and project plans.
- In charge of the management of the department’s staffing, resources, and mentoring, and maintaining a best-in-class engineering department.
Leads the engineering team in the delivery of platform functionality through a mix of development software and helps the team in achieving and surpassing departmental goals.
- Provides technical guidance and direction, as well as hands-on resource and project management, for all site/software development activities.
Takes the lead with a profound understanding of new and relevant technologies for the purpose of realizing efficiency.
- Ensures the optimal application of engineering resources in order to meet product development and consumer requirements and ensures the implementation of agile processes that support site/software development processes.
- Plays a leading role in the recruiting activities of the engineering department in order to ensure consistency in departmental efficiency.
- Plays a mentorship role to key engineering personnel, assisting in their duties upon request, and constantly promoting the growth of their professional skills, readying them for the assumption of his duties in his absence or retirement.
- Plays a leading engineering role within the department where he/she is tasked with the planning, management, execution and implementation of site/software projects, inclusive of the day-to-day project management, scope management, issue and risk management, as well as regular status reporting.
- Develops strategic plans with regard to the technical development of sites/software and establishes the business’s technical vision that guides all aspects of technological development.
- Oversees the strategic deployment of the departmental resources leading to optimal resource allocation and the smooth and successful development of sites/software.
- Be responsible for the overall system development life-cycle.
Collaboration and Support:
- Be highly collaborative
- Work closely with Dev Managers in the management and development of strategic planning and with the user experience department in designing, developing, and deploying scalable technologies that will lead to increased consumer satisfaction.
- Works with dev lead and senior developers to ensure that systems meet the overall business requirements and standards.
- Stays abreast of leading and cutting-edge technologies and industry best practices.
- Absorbs relevant and suitable technology based on the projected benefits to the engineering development departments.
Education: A master’s degree in Computer Science or any other relevant field. An equivalent of the same in working experience is also acceptable for this position.
- 10+ years of working experience with Java technologies with vast experience in software engineering, site/software development and experience working with numerous software-industry business models inclusive of subscription, ecommerce, support and fulfillment.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of a frontend or backend team through cross-functional projects and recording project progress.
- Have a proven track-record of consistent project delivery, and designing and developing complex, interactive consumer sites/software.
- Have vast experience building consumer and developer facing products and services as well as the deployment of APIs.
- Have further vast experience in agile development practices and architectural knowledge of web-based and backend technologies.
- Both in written and verbal form are imperative.
- Need to have exceptionally good communication skills in leadership position where the clarity of his/her communications to junior developers’ personnel will determine the success or failure of sites/software within the business.
- Plays a highly collaborative role where clarity in his/her communications will largely determine the effectiveness and efficiency with which cross-functional duties are executed.
- Communication skills will also be necessary in the drafting of progress reports for Dev Managers, which must be clear, concise, comprehensive, and easy-to-understand.
Technology/Software: The Head of Engineering, like his team, must be technologically adept and demonstrate outstanding programming skills. He/She must also demonstrate an expertise in full stack architectures and experience with a broad mix of technologies, including a strong subset of:
- Core Java 8,9, Spring Boot, Spring Cloud, NetflixOSS
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL (Cassandra, MongoDB, ELK)
- Messaging or streaming middleware such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Cloud platform such as AWS or GCP
- Continuous Integration and Delivery - Experience with distributed architectures, SOA, microservices and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS).
- Experience with Agile and Test Driven Development (TDD) methodologies.
- Familiarity with containers and their technologies such as Docker.
- Familiarity with container orchestration technologies such as Mesos, Kubernetes and OpenShift.
- Experience with high availability, high-scale, and performance systems.
- The candidate will be consumer and result-oriented, be a creative and strategic thinker, work comfortably in a highly collaborative environment, and will work comfortably in a constantly evolving environment.
- Have a keen eye for details, have a constant and insatiable trust for knowledge, and have an ability to remain calm and composed in times of uncertainty and stress, inspiring the same in his/her team.
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership skills, having an ability to move a cross-functional group in a unified direction and with a common vision.
- Be a likable and relatable individual who is able to make meaningful and lasting connections with others.
- Be able to inspire confidence in others, making it easy for them to trust in his/her insights, directives, and judgments.