ITIL V2 certification
On its official site, ITIL notes that the V2 certification exams are now only available to those who previously failed a V2 exam and wish to try again -- all others are now encouraged to go down the V3 path.
- ITIL Foundation. The ITIL Foundation Certificate is geared toward professionals of all levels who want to establish competency in basic ITIL principles and terminology.
- ITIL Service Manager. The ITIL Service Manager Certificate tests the ITIL theory and practice application of management professionals and consultants. It is made up of two modules: Service Support and Service Delivery.
- ITIL Practitioner. The Practitioner certification ensures an in-depth understanding of each discipline within the Support and Delivery modules -- a separate certificate may be earned in each specialty, or in what is known as a combined or clustered discipline combining them.
ITIL V3 certifications
The ITIL V3 qualification scheme, which replaces the V2 structure, is the current certification path available to IT professionals.
- ITIL Foundation in IT Service Management. This certification is designed for entry-level professionals who require a basic understanding of the ITIL framework and how it can be used to enhance IT service management within a company. Students become familiar with the key concepts, elements and terminology used in the ITIL lifecycle.
- ITIL Intermediate Level. This certification is best suited for mid-level professionals with their eyes set on managerial positions within an organization. Students can build upon Foundation-level skills in one of the following modules: Service Strategy, Service Design, Service Transition, Service Operation or Continual Service Improvement.
- ITIL Expert. The ITIL Expert certification is geared toward those who want to establish competence in the entire V3 curriculum in an effort to further advance their IT service management careers. Students are free to choose from a plethora of targeted service modules and at varying depths.
- ITIL Master Qualification. The ITIL Master Certification is the most advanced credential in the V3 universe, establishing one's ability to apply all ITIL principles and techniques in the workplace. According to ITIL, there is no fixed Mater-level syllabus; instead, students will choose a unique combination of emphases.